You are here

Martial coats of arms of Mogilev region

There are many coats of arms in the region, each telling about the glorious past of the locality. Mogilev coat of arms granted by King Jan Casimir in 1661 is among them. One of the arms' symbols - a silver mailed knight with a sword taken up above the head - has 2 interpretations: the town is open for all good people, but it is properly protected against the enemy. An armed horseman from “Pursuit” - an ancient coat of arms - imaged above the open gates has the same meaning.

From time immemorial Mogilev this symbol has signified the readiness for countering the country's aggression. By the way, Mstislavl coat of arms also images "Small Pursuit" - a hand holding a sword. The history of Mogilev proved scores of times that Mogilevers could protect their town, displaying miracles of heroism, fortitude and firmness. Just take the city's great sons who defended it during the Great Patriotic War.

The knight in Cherikov's coat of arms is also the symbol of courage, valour, protection of the native land, and orthodox values. The coat of arms of Krichev imaging a gold cross and a silver sword has been known since the XVIIth c. Way back the town was a border point of the Great Duchy of Lithuania, and its population was famous as courage warriors.

The coat of arms imaging the crossed swords wreathed with laurels was granted to the district town Chaussy by Katherine the Great in 1781 to commemorate the victory over the Swedes in Chaussy vicinity in 1708. At the same time the Russian Empress granted the coat of arms to Bykhov: two crossed iron guns on the red background of the French shield. Similar to Chaussy's arms, it has a half of the Russian eagle in the upper gold field. There are many ancient guns in the town, Katherine the Great remarked about the guns imaged in the arms. By that time Bykhov had a long history closely connected with war events. In the mid XVIth c. there was founded a smelting-house producing guns, ordnances, objects of religious devotion, household utensils, and a famous Bykhov armoury. The old Bykhov was a kind of fortification in Lithuanian lands. During the fierce wars in the XVII-XVIIIth cc. it became famous as an impregnable fortress with rebellious people. When reviving the historical coat of arms, the town administration stressed that it symbolizes the glorious historical past, as well as the heroism and courage by Bykhov's population during the Great Patriotic War.

A sword in Khotimsk's arms appeared after a famous historical event of the XVIIIth c. - Krichev antifeudal uprising.

If you have found a mistake in the text, please, select it and press Ctrl+Enter.

Read more in category "history":

13.07.2016 - 08:19 | People’s actor from Krivel

The birthday of Petr Aleinikov, the famous actor of the 1930-60s, is going to be celebrated in his native place Krivel village, Shklov district. The house where the actor lived is a museum. It will hold celebrations with participation of the actor’s relatives, friends and fans.

07.07.2016 - 08:12 | Having road traffic militia in his heart

The road traffic militia in the Republic of Belarus was established on 3 June 80 years ago. Before his retirement major Gennady Makarenko worked in the road traffic militia for 20 years. On June 19 he celebrated his 85th birthday, thus, he is five years loder than Belarusian traffic militia.

29.06.2016 - 09:00 | To remember in order not to face it again

People say that time is the best doctor. But there are things and events that are always in our memory. June 22 1041 was the black date in the history of Belarusians.

30.05.2016 - 08:11 | The Buinichi height

Students of Mogilev state vocational agro and forestry engineering college named after Orlovsky restored the fascist fortification seized by the Red Army soldiers in the summer 1944 which cut off the fascists’ path of retreat. Due to this heroic deed Mogilev was liberated from the fascists.

17.05.2016 - 08:24 | The Mogilev regional drama theatre to celebrate its 128th anniversary

The Mogilev regional drama theatre celebrates its 128th anniversary. These days the theatre shows the performance “Happy Birthday, theatre!”