Polykovichskaya krinitsa (Polykovichi spring) is a miracle place with a long and rich history dated back to 1552 when Polykovichi settlement and the spring belonged to Mogilev starosta Stanislav Kezgailo. With time Polykovichi settlement’s owners changed one another. And only the spring remained its life giving properties enjoyed by local people. The spring was a centre of neighbouring villages’ culture and spiritual life.
The early 19th century marked the fame of the spring. Then the count Rimsky-Korsakov became the owner of the estate. He initiated construction of a stone grotto over the spring. After the count had built the chapel in honour of Saint Paraskeva-Pyatnitsa thousands of people from Mogilev and neighbouhood started arriving here on the 8th and 10th Friday following Orthodox Easter when the water of the spring was considered to have healing properties. These days held mass religious processions and church services and were called Polykovichi Fridays. After 1866 a small part of Saint Paraskeva’s remains was brought to the chapel from the Holy Mt. Athos. (Paraskeva was born to a rich family. When a young women she accepted Christ and had an abstentious life. Having been accused of Christianity she was summoned to the region’s head who proposed her to recant her religious beliefs and then marry him. Paraskeva rejected the proposal and was beheaded. She was canonized by the church.)
At the turn of the 19-20th centuries it was expected from every woman living in neighbourhood of 100 kilometers to walk and visit the spring. Paraskeva-Pyatnitsa was the patroness of home, marriage, women and girls.
At the end of the 1990s the chapel of Paraskeva-Pyatnitsa started its revival and reconstruction. On May, 29 2000, the day of memory of the First Council of Nicaea bishops, the renovated chapel was consecrated by archbishop of Mogilev and Mstislavl Maxim. The church was built with charity contributions of German couple Alla Arnold (she was born in Polykovichi) and Dieter Arnold and the parish’s funds.
The opening ceremony of the church gathered Mogilev’s citizens and authorities.
November, 14 is the Day of Paraskeva Pyatnitsa.
Some years ago Polykovichi opened the renewed Orthodox Church.
Epiphany (Krescheniye) usually attracts a lot of people to visit Polykovichskaya krinitsa (Polykovichi spring). Pilgrims arrive here on this frosty day. Kreschenskaya water is considered to have healing properties. Epiphany (Krescheniye) in Polykovichi has become a family holiday. Bathing in a font on Krescheniye Day gives a lot of energy. Mogilev citizens name Polykovichskaya krinitsa a sacred place.
Polykovichskaya krinitsa (Polykovichi spring) is a nature monument of the national significance.