Mogilev is planning to complete construction works on the segment of Mogilev-Bobruisk motorway leading to Buinichi Field Memorial.
It will take an estimated BYR 12.5 billion to patch up the three-km-long segment of the motorway, the officials informed.
The field on the outskirts of the village of Buinichi near Mogilev was the place where a group of peasant rebels and Cossacks joined in a battle with the 18,000-strong cavalry army of the Great Duchy of Lithuania.
In 1812 the field saw a bloody fight between the Russian troops and the French army.
In July 1941 soldiers of the regular Soviet army, policemen, police academy cadets and 12,000 local volunteers would sustain the heroic defence of the city for 23 days.
In 1995 they unveiled a WWII memorial on the outskirts of the city called Buinichi Field. The memorial rests on an area of over 20 ha with a 27-metre-high chapel in the centre. Also, there is random collection of wartime artillery, vehicles and weaponry. The walls of the chapel are decorated with frescos and memorial signs with the names of city defenders on. In the centre there is a Foucault’s pendulum, which symbolizes eternal life and memories of those who perished in that field in 1941. There is an Old Greek cross on top of the chapel. Close to the chapel is a small artificial waterpond called the Lake of Tears – the tears mothers shed for the sons claimed by the war.
There is also a monument to Russian man of letters Konstantin Simonov, who was there in 1941 to personally witness the battles near Mogilev. He documented the heroic defence of Mogilev in his books and pieces of poetry. The man was so impressed by the battle and the courage and heroism of the soldiers that in his last will he asked to disperse his ashes over the field.