Town Hall is a symbol of Mogilev’s self-government. Its construction began in 1578 after the city got Magdeburg rights in 1577.
Initially the town hall was made of wood. But more than once it burnt down to the ground and changed its location.
During the Great patriotic war the town hall was seriously destroyed. December 28 1952 the architecture monument protection committee made a decision to restore it. The building of the town hall was announced architecture monument. The restoration works were to complete by the end of 1953. But the restoration did not begin. In July 1957 the building of Mogilev’s town hall was blown up.
Repeatedly there were talks to restore the town hall. But only in May 1992 Mogilev held a symbolic laying of the foundation stone and a consecration public prayer.
Real restoration works began in 2007. In 2008 on Mogilev Day there was a ceremonial opening of the town hall. It is significant that the President of the Republic of Belarus Alexander Lukashenko took part in ceremony to launch restoration works. The President laid a capsule with the words addressing descendants. The building was designed with a maximum fit to the times of Magdeburg rights of the XVII-XVIII centuries. The first floor of the building hosts exposition premises. There is a meeting hall of the city council, museum offices and subsidiary rooms on the second floor. The attic floor includes rooms for the museum staff. The tower of the museum has got the clock designed by Gennady Golovchin, an engineer from Mogilev. The spare parts and clockwork were produced by the local enterprises.
Glory Square is the main square of Mogilev, its historical, public and administration centre
The square appeared in the first part of the XVI century on the hill, at the place of the confluence of the Dubrovenka River and the Dnepr River. It was located between the castle and Nagorsky trading quarter and functioned as Torgovaya Square.
The square has a shape of an irregular polygon. In 1604 its territory made over 2 hectares. It sited 26 stores. The square was a start of two streets – Sklovskaya Street (today’s Pervomaiskaya Street) and Vetrynaya Street (today’s Leninskaya Street). The two streets together with other ones directed to Vilno, Bykhov and Mstislavl constituted a radical system of Mogilev’s planning.
In 1578 having received Magdeburg rights Mogilev started construction of the town hall.
In 1772 Mogilev joined Russia and Torgovaya Square was renamed into Gubernatorskaya Square. Its new look was designed by Russian architects N.A.Lvov and V.P.Stasov. A lower court building, a doctor’s office, an archive (in 1883 reconstructed as a regional court), houses of the governor, the vice-governor and the governor’s office (have not survived) were located in a semicircle.
The square got its modern look in the early 1980-s. The centre of the architectural ensemble is the memorial complex “To fighters for social authority” including a bronze sculpture of a woman’s shape symbolizing the image of Victory, the eternal flame at the foot of the pedestal and the common grave of 15 Red Army soldiers of the 35th detachment defending Mogilev from the Polish Army in 1920.The memorial complex opened July 10 1982. Its sculptor is L.
In 2007 Mogilev City Council of deputies discussed the question to rename Sovetskaya Square into Svobody Square. But the suggestion was not supported by the participants. July 3 2014 during the celebrations of the 70th anniversary of Belarus’ liberation from fascists the square was renamed into Ploschad Slavy.