You are here

Bobruisk District

Official web site Bobruisk district: www.bobruisk.mogilev-region.by/en

Bobruisk district is located in the north-west of Mogilev region. It was formed on August 4, 1927. It occupies an area of 1.6 thousand square km. The population of the district is 29.2 thousand people, 7% live in towns. The average population density is 18 people per one sq. km. The centre of the district is the town of Bobruisk. There is a town-type settlement of Glusha, 225 village settlements, and 12 village councils Bortikovski, Brozhski, Vorotynski, Vishnevski, Volosovski, Gorbatsevichski, Gorokhovski, Kovolevski, Slobodkovski, Sychkovski, Khimkovski and Telushski in the district.

A great part of Bobruisk district is located within the limits of Central Berezina plain. The surface is mostly flat, 150-170 m above sea level, the highest point (183.5 m) is situated near the settlement of Glusha.

Natural resources: peat, clay, construction and silicate sand, mineral water springs.

January's average temperature is minus 6.7 C, June's average temperature - plus 18.2 C. Annual precipitation equals 586 millimeters. Vegetative period lasts 193 days. Major rivers: the Berezina, Ala, Bobruika, Belitsa, Brozha, Ovchanka, Bir; Lakes: Lake Viakhovo

The prevailing soil type is sod-podzol, sod-podzol marsh, peat-bog. Forests grow on 38% of the territory, mostly conifers and birch, asp, oak and hornbeam.

Marshes occupy an area of 19.2 thousand ha (partly drained), including 17.8 ha of lowland marshes - Redki Rog, Ovchanskoye, Yurzovka.

The total area of agricultural land equals 72.2 thousand hectares. Agricultural producers specialise in milk and meat cattle breeding, swine breeding, poultry keeping, potatoes, fodder beet, corn and flax growing. Bobruisk's industries are food and construction materials production, glass production.

There are Minsk-Bobruisk-Gomel, Bobruisk-Oktiabrski railway lines, Minsk-Bobruisk-Gomel and Slutsk-Bobruisk-Rogachov and Mogiliov-Bobruisk-Mozyr motorways in the district. The river Berezina is navigable in those parts with a cargo port in Bobruisk.

There are 18 secondary, 4 nine-year and 7 elementary schools, 21 kindergartens, 34 clubs, 38 public libraries, 6 hospitals and 24 first aid centers functioning in the district.

Architectural monuments - wooden church (early 20th century) in the village of Turkovskaya Sloboda, brick church (late 19th - early 20th century) in the village of Telusha, a mid-19th-century post office in the village of Borok. A memorial in honour of warriors of the 1st Belarusian Front and partisans in the village of Sychkovo.

Bobruisk is located 110 kilometers away from Mogilev. It is connected with Osipovichi, Zhlobin, Oktyabrski by railways and linked with Minsk, Gomel, Kalinkovichi, Rogachev and Slutsk by motorways.

The town was first mentioned in 1387 as a regional center of the Great Principality of Lithuania. At that moment the town already had Magdebourg right (the right to self-government).

In 1502 the Tartar army was defeated in a battle near Bobruisk. Six years later the town was seized by rebels led by Prince Mikhail Glinski.

In the early 16th century Bobruisk castle was surrounded by a high wall with numerous towers and a deep moat.

The construction of powerful fortifications started in 1810. The town turned into a real fortress – the only fortress that survived the French siege during the Patriotic War of 1812.

In the 19th century Bobruisk became one of the major centers of Jewish life in Belarus.

The troops of the first Belarusian Front led by Rokossovski who liberated Bobruisk from fascist invaders in June 1944 covered the flags of the Belarusian army with everlasting glory, killing over 50 thousand enemies and taking 3 thousand prisoners.

Bobruisk fortress, which is still one of the major attractions of the town, will soon host a world-class Ice Palace (an indoor skating rink).

Bobruisk Day is celebrated on June 29. Another important event that takes place on that day is the international folklore festival called Venok Druzhby (Wreath of Friendship).

On the eve of the annual harvest feast Dozhinki that was celebrated in Bobruisk in September 2006 a monument to beaver dressed in a suit and a hat was erected at the crossroads of Sotsialisticheskaya and Karl Marks streets. The animal that is believed to have given the town its name has grown very popular among local residents and tourists who like to take pictures of the monument.

There are several hotels in Bobruisk: Feniks (46a, Ordzhonikidze Street, tel. 446693, fax 446700), Yubileinaya (26, 50 Let VLKSM Street, tel. 442975), Bobruisk (97, Sovetskaya Street, tel. 521957) and three-star Turist located in Voikov Street on the bank of the Berezina (for 200 guests).

The town’s cultural life is represented by Dunin-Martinkevich Drama and Comedy Theatre, a museum of local history, culture and lore and an exhibition hall. There are around a dozen cafes, Royal entertainment club and a small casino in Bobruisk.

If you have found a mistake in the text, please, select it and press Ctrl+Enter.