Official web site Bykhov district: www.bykhov.mogilev-region.by/en
Bykhov district is located in the south of Mogiliov region. It was founded on July 17, 1924. Its area totals 2.3 thousand sq km. Population amounts to 49.2 thousand people, urban population accounts for 41.5%. The average population density makes 22 people per sq km. The town of Bykhov is the district center.
The district is divided into 15 village councils: Obidovichski, Barkolabovski, Verkhnetoshitski, Gorodetski, Glukhski, Grudinovski, Dunaikovski, Ludchitski, Novobykhovski, Slediukovski, Trilesinski, Kholstovski, Chernoborski, Krasnoslbodski, Yamnenski. After the explosion at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant in 1986 a part of the district area wascontaminated with radio-nuclides. Residents of Aleksandrov village were resettled.
The district is located at Central Berezina plain and Chechorsk plain.
The surface of the district is a plain. The average altitude is 150-160 m above sea level. The highest point (183.5 m) is near the village of Trilesino.
Natural resources: peat, chalk, gravel, ceramic clay.
Average January temperature is minus 7.2 C, average June temperature - plus 18.3 C. Rainfall equals 600 millimeters a year. Vegetative period is 189 days.
The largest Belarusian river Dnieper crosses the territory of the district, its tributaries are the Chernavka, the Bobrovka, the Tresna, the Ukhliast, the Voroninka, the Toshchitsa, the Adamenka, the Rditsa, the Lakhva, in the west - the Druts with its tributaries: the Greza and the Bolonovka.
The prevailing soil type is sod-podzol and sod-podzol marsh. Forests make up 39% of the territory, mainly coniferous and birchen.
The plough lands total 103.1 thousand hectares, 23.9 thousand of them are drained land. The major branch of the agriculture is meat and diary cattle-breeding. Farms also cultivate crops and fodder, potatoes.
Companies located in the district produce raw alcohol, butter, no-fat powdered milk, starch, tinned vegetables, garments, fuel briquette, metallic barrels, construction materials.
The Mogiliov-Zhlobin railway, and Mogiliov-Gomel, Mogiliov-Bobruisk highways cross the territory of the district. The Dnieper is navigable.
23 secondary and 15 basis schools operate in the district, along with 35 preschools, 46 clubs, 45 libraries, 7 hospitals, 3 out-patients departments, 35 doctor's offices.
Natural attractions of the district are giant fir-trees located in the vicinity of the village of Barsuki. Besides, the sights include a church in Bolonov-Selets that dates back to the 19th century, the Church of Kazan Holy Virgin (1904) in Barkolabovo village, a palace and a park in Grudinovka (early 19th century), a church in Lubianka (early 20th century), the Assumption Church (1865) in Mokroye. A military glory memorial is located in the village of Ludchitsy.