Official web site Mogilev district: www.mogilev.mogilev-region.by/en
Mogilev district is located in the centre of Mogilev region. It was formed on July 17, 1924, eliminated on September 16, 1959, re-established on July 30, 1966. It occupies an area of 1.9 thousand square km. The population of the district is 49.5 thousand people (excluding the population of the city of Mogilev).
The average population density is 26 people per one sq. km. There is a city of Mogilev (the centre of the district), 296 village settlements, and 16 village councils (Brilevo, Veino, Vendrizh, Dashkovo, Zavodskaya Sloboda, Kadino, Knyazhitsy, Mostok, Mokhovo, Nedashevo, Polykovichi, Pashkovo, Semukochi, Sidorovichi, Sukharevo, Tishovka) in the district.
Most of the territory is located within the Central Berezina plain, the northern and the north-eastern parts - within the Orsha-Mogilev plain. The surface is flat with an average altitude of 170-190 m above sea level, the highest point (200 m) is situated two km to the north from Mogilev.
Natural resources: peat, sand and gravel materials, sand, clay, loam, mineral colours, mineral water.
January's average temperature is minus 7.5 C, June's average temperature - plus 18.2 C. Annual precipitation equals 644 millimeters. Vegetative period lasts 187 days.
The river Dnieper crosses the district from the north to the south with its tributaries the Vilchenka, the Povna with the Loznevka, the Dubravenka, the Lakhva with the Lakhvitsa and the Zhivorezka. The river Drut with the Orlyanka and the Greza runs along the western boarder, while the river Rasta with the tributary the Rudeya flows in the east. There are Rudeya and Zarestye reservoirs.
The prevailing soil type is sod-podzol (59.6%) and sod-podzol marsh (26.1%). Forests make up 24% of the territory, 20.6% are man-planted, mainly coniferous plantations. The greatest forest density is in the south. The main tree species are conifers, birch, fur-tree, aspen, oak, alder, etc. Marshes occupy 11.3 thousand hectares, the largest are Buinitskoye and Big Ukrupskoye.
Mogilev district natural sights include a water spring in the village of Polykovichii, a forest with valuable tree species in the Vilchitsy forestry, oaks in the city of Mogilev, a park in the village of Dashkovka.
The total area of agricultural land equals 119 thousand hectares, 16.8 thousand of which is drained land. Agricultural producers specialise in milk and meat cattle breeding, pig breeding, poultry keeping, grain crops, fruit and vegetables, potatoes, flax.
The principal industry branches are food and construction materials production, metal and wood working industry.
Mogilev is a junction of railways to Osipovichi, Orsha, Krichev and Zhlobin and a crossroads of highways to Bobruisk, Minsk, Orsha, Cherikov and Gomel. Navigation is possible on the Dnieper.
23 secondary, 5 nine-year and 8 elementary schools, several sports and 11 music schools, a higher agricultural vocational school in the village of Buinichi, 32 kindergartens, 37 culture centers and clubs, 36 libraries, 7 hospitals, a polyclinic, 2 out-patients stations and 41 medical centers function on the territory of the district.
Architectural monuments of the district include the church of the Protection of the Virgin in the village of Veino (2nd half of the 19th century), the Assumption church in the village of Goleni (1903), a farmstead in the village of Dashkovka (beginning of the 20th century), a Dominican church in the village of Knyazhitsy (1681), a memorial chapel (1912) and a monument (1962) at the site of the 1812 battle near the village of Soltanovka, a chapel in the village of Staiki (beginning of the 20th century), the Assumption church in the village of Sukhari (beginning of the 20th century). There is a historical site Buinichi field near the village of Buinichi. A military history museum functions in the village of Polykovichi.
Mogilev is situated 200 kilometers away from Minsk. Railways link it with the nearby located towns of Orsha, Osipovichi, Krichev and Zhlobin. There is a railway station, a bus station and an airport in Mogilev.
According to some historians, the city was founded in the early 11th century. Initially it served as a fortress that guarded the southern border of Polotsk Principality. Others claim that Mogilev was founded in 1267, when a castle surrounded by three fortification lines was founded on the shore of the river Dnieper. And archaeologists say that the modern Mogilev District was populated as early as in the Iron Age.
The city was first mentioned in the late 14th century in a paper called the List of Russian Cities. Curiously enough, Mogilev twice served as a wedding gift: first elderly Lithuanian prince Yagaila presented it to his young bride, Polish Queen Yadviga, and later Prince Alexander signed it over to his bride Yelena, daughter of the Russian Tsar Ivan III.
In 1569 the city became part of Poland, and in 1578 it received Magdebourg Right. Mogilev survived several major military actions, including the 13-year-war between Russia and Rzech Pospolita, the Great Nothern War with Sweden n the Patriotic War of the 1812.
Mogilev was many times visited by members of royal families. In 1706 Peter I the Great spent here several days, in 1780 Yekaterina II met here with German Emperor Joseph II, and the family of the last Russian Tsar Nikolai II lived here in the years of WWI (1915 – 1917).
Lost of buildings in Mogilev remind us of the last Russian royal family. The military staff that was headed by Nikolai II during WWI is located in Gubernatorskaya (presently Sovetskaya) Square, and the nearby situated Bolshaya Sadovaya Street (presently Leninskaya) hosts a number of facilities built in the 18th-19th centuries. Today the street is a pedestrian area with lots of shops, cafes, night clubs and restaurants.
A drama theatre opened in Mogilev in 1888.
Many Belarusian writers described the heroic defence of Mogilev in the years of the Great Patriotic War. A memorial was installed in Buinichi Field to honor the noble deeds of Soviet soldiers who fell in the fight against fascist invaders.
Children will be delighted to visit Mogilev Zoo and the Ethnographic village founded in the 18th-19th centuries. The zoo hosts a great number of animal species some of which were found in Belarus and others brought from exotic countries, such as the tiger, the bear, the lynx, the elk, the deer, the roe and the bison. Bisons occupy an area of ten hectares maximally reminding their natural environment.
Mogilev annually hosts a number of international contests and festivals, such as the Golden Hit that gathers singers and music bands who used to be popular back in the 60s, 70s and 80s.
Every June the international festival of church music called Mahutny Bozha (Mighty God) gathers musicians and lovers of Christian music from Belarus and a number of foreign countries, including the USA, Germany, Poland, the Baltic States and Russia. The bands perform at Mogilev’s concert halls and St Stanislav Cathedral (18th century).
The city also hosts Animayevka international cartoon festival that is held every September.
In 2007 Mogilev is going to celebrate the 740th anniversary. The major festivities will take place in late June.
Mogilev’s Extremepark is a unique site that regularly hosts national and international motocross and jeep-trial rallies.
Mogilev’s night life is focused at Metro club and Materik entertainment facility, both of which gather a lot of locals and visitors from other Belarusian cities on Friday and Saturday nights.
There are six hotels, around 20 restaurants, six night clubs, a casino and five cinemas, two theatres, six museums and three amusement parks in Mogilev.