Official web site Shklov district: www.shklov.mogilev-region.by/en
Shklov district is located in the south of Mogilev region. It was formed on July 17, 1924. It occupies an area of 1.5 thousand square km. The population of the district makes 38.9 thousand people, 42% live in towns. In the district there is the town of Shklov, 121 rural settlements and 12 village councils.
Shklov district is located within the limits of Orsha-Mogilev plain. The surface is mostly flat with wavy hills. The territory is located at 180-200 m above sea level, with the highest point at 224 m.
Natural resources: peat, sand and gravel, construction sand, different types of clay.
January's average temperature is minus 7.8 C, June's average temperature - plus 17.9 C. Annual precipitation equals 612 millimeters. Vegetative period lasts 185 days.
Major rivers: the Dnepr, including tributaries: Beriozovka, Chernitsa, Artislavka; Basia and Avchosa in the east. Forests grow on 19% of the territory, mostly conifers and birch.
72.2% of the territory is agricultural lands. The prevailing soil type is sod-podzol (67%), sod-podzol marsh (23.3%).
Agricultural producers specialise in flax growing and milk & meat cattle breeding.
The principal industry branches are food and construction materials production, wood working industry, light industry.
There is Orsha-Mogiliov railway line and a corresponding motorway; besides there are motorways linking the district with Krugloye and Gorki.
The town of Shklov, the centre of Shklov district, rests on the banks of the river Dnepr 30 km away from Mogiliov. Shklov is also a railway station on Orsha-Mogiliov railway line. Population number - 14.9 thousand.
The town dates back to the year 1535. It originated from the villages of Old Shklov and Khotimka. It used to belong to feudal lords: the Seniavskis, the Khodkeviches, the Cherteriyskis. Since 1568 it had been the centre of the County of Shklov. Used to be part of Orsha uyezd (district). There used to be the Castle of Shklov in the 16-17th centuries. In the year 1643 the town had a population of 4750 inhabitants. In the year 1668 the town was moved to the banks of the river Dnepr, where the contemporary Shklov is situation. In 1762 it was given the right of a self-governing town. Since 1773 it was property of Duke Potiomkin, since 1788 - Lieutenant-General Zorich, who started Zorich Theatre, the Ballet School of Shklov and Shklov Music School. In the early 20th century the town had a population of over 10 thousand people.
Since 1924 Shklov has been a district centre. In 1925 Shklov was given the status of a town. In 1939 Shklov had a population of 8.1 thousand people. Since July 12 1941 till June 27 1944 the town had been occupied by German fascists, who killed in Shklov alone 7504 people.
There are pulp and paper enterprises working in the town, and also food producers, fodder producers, woodworking companies, flax reprocessing facilities, construction materials.
Architectural monuments - a synagogue building (second half of the 17th century), city hall (18th century), dwelling areas (the 18th and early 19th centuries), paper factory (1898), a church (later 19th - early 20th century), Transfiguration Church and a 20th-century mansion.