Slavgorod district is located in the south of Mogilev region. It was created on July 17, 1924.
The area of the district is 1.3 thousand square km. The population counts 17.8 thousand people. The town of Slavgorod, 108 rural settlements, 6 rural councils are situated on its territory.
The district rests within the Orsha-Mogilev and Chechorskaya lowlands. The heights of 140-170 m above sea level prevail, the highest point being 189 m.
Mineral wealth includes peat, chalk, sand-and-gravel, building sand, clay.
The average temperature in January is - minus 7.5 degrees centigrade, in July - plus 18.5 degrees centigrade. The average annual precipitation is 605 mm. Vegetation period makes up 188 days.
The chief river is the Sozh with its tributaries the Pronya (with the Rasta, the Krupka, and the Treslivka), the Peschanka, the Kossolyanka with the Potseya, the Yelnya, the Goluba, the Kamenka, the Yakushovka, in the west - the Bobrovka (the tributary of the Dnepr), in the north - the Khotinka (the tributary of the Rasta). Forests, predominantly coniferous, aspen, fir, occupy 37% of the district's territory.
Agricultural lands account for 55% of the district's territory. The soils are sod-podsolic (49.9%), sod-podsolic swamped (26.7%), flood land (10.6%). Cattle-breeding constitutes the basis of the district's agriculture.
Slavgorod (till May 23, 1945 - Propoisk) is the centre of Slavgorod district, a quay on the Sozh. The town is situated 70 km away from Mogilev, 58 km away from Krichev railway station, on Bobruisk - Krichev motorway. The population is 7.6 thousand people.
The first written documents of the town (under the ancient name of Prupa, Proposhesk) go back as far as 1136 as one of the settlements of Smolensk Duchy. In the 14th century it formed part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, a state property. Since 1772 it was an out-of-state town, then - centre of Bykhovsky uezd. In 1924 the town became district centre, in September 27, 1938 - town-type settlement. In August 1941 - November 25, 1943 Slavgorod was occupied by the Nazi fascists, who killed 2,000 people in Slavgorod and the district.
The main enterprises are those of building materials (reinforced concrete plant), food industry enterprises (dried vegetables plant, butter-and-cheese plant).
The town's architectural monuments include St. Maria's Birth Church (1791 - 1793), a parish school (late 18th century), a post station (mid-19th century).